Monday, November 28, 2005

News of the day

Apparently introverts tend to have more brain activity in general. I don't know if I would call myself someone who shuns from social contact, but I don't mind being alone and when I am among others I tend to just listen and float around from group to group taking in as much as I can. The world needs more listeners perhaps, though I suppose I make up for it with long posts such as the last one. Interestingly enough, I have had many people confide different things to me, I don't know if I'm just the sort of person that one can talk to or if someone just needs another to listen every once in a while. I know I have had times in my life where I needed someone to talk to and I would go to my Lord most definitely, but sometimes I felt the need for a christian brother or sister to confide in. Most of the time I don't want to trouble others with things like that and at those times in my life I felt like a turtle backing into its shell. But the Lord always listens and I can be very thankful for that!

A celebrity is a person who works hard all his life to become well known, then wears dark glasses to avoid being recognized.
- Fred Allen

I don't know if many of you are very familiar with Fred Allen. He and Jack Benny had a rivalry going on for many years. Fred's show mainly did a lot of political jokes about the news of the day and for that reason I don't find it as interesting, since I have no idea who was elected to congress in what states that year.

The Romans would never have found time to conquer the world if they had been obliged first to learn Latin.
- Heinrich Heine

Now I found that rather amusing, though personally I would love to learn Latin and tried a little on my own a while back. There was a young lady a long time ago who was doing a book to learn Latin and I just could not understand why someone would want to learn a language that you would never have a use for in speaking. Then in later years I was able to appreciate the value it can offer and also appreciate that it has better rules of government than English does. Or does English have rules to govern it? I think it's almost entirely made up of exceptions rather.....
Perhaps I'll take a course in Latin here at the college if I can't fill up a semester with courses pertaining to my major (which is my main focus).

I'll try to write about last week (I missed something like 3 days there?) tomorrow, for now I'm going to curl up in my icy bed. I've had people tell me that I might get sick if I do this but as long as my body is warm then I'm fine (which I have been). While everyone is getting sick around me I still have been blessed with good health which I jokingly say must be because the germs can't survive in the cold. It just freezes them to death!

1 Comments:

At 11:08 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, do take Latin! The professor at OSU is great--you'll really like him. He taught me for several years, and he's taught lots of other people in our church (including pastor).

Interesting that introverts have more brain activity. I would expect that to be true. The people who I know are introverts tend to spend more time thinking and to be more sensitive (sometimes too sensitive!) than others I know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home