Tuesday, November 29, 2005

El mucho rando

I don't have much to say on any one subject today (do I ever?) thus this promises to be random. You know it's dangerous when the opening line says that what is to follow might be random nonsense eh?!

First let's start with a quick quote:
I have only one superstition. I touch all the bases when I hit a home run.
- Babe Ruth

I studied a bit this morning. It was cold in the camper I'll admit! After a while, when your fingers have problems holding the pencil you wonder if it might just be time to break down and use the heater. Trouble is I don't see why I should waste it on just me. So I moved to the laundry room in the park for a little while. It's much warmer in there (where they keep it heated all the time). No one was using that room anyway. I was studying Economics though I really could have studied about anything. I've got a test in Java Thursday, one in Math Friday and Economics the same day. Aside from that I've got my Java program to write (which honestly shouldn't take to long) by Friday and a Chemistry assignment to turn in next Monday, my pre-lab exercises for tomorrow's Chemistry lab and finish fine-tuning my projectile with all the paperwork that accompanies it. Wow! Then there is also various things to study for as we come down to the final exams. I expected the rain to come down heavily this week and we all know that when it rains it pours. I should be fine though, I'm not feeling extremely pressured. You might forgive me though if I cut this post "short."

My only class on Tuesday is at 12:30 p.m. so around 11:45 I headed out and made it to campus. It always amazes me that at about 11:50-12:00 the road is packed with cars heading away from the campus. I assume it's the staff heading out to lunch but I would think that they would get off at 12:00 and then be on the road between 12:05 and 12:10 but perhaps I'm mistaken. I usually can get a decent parking space at that time so that is why I go a little early. It was a beautifully crisp day even at noon and I enjoyed walking to class. Nearly everyone else was bundled up and looking as though they would bite the head off of anyone who as much as hinted that the day was a good one.

After class I was walking back and when I saw the sign at the crosswalk flash "walk" (some other people were coming the opposite direction) I didn't mind breaking into a trot for about 100 feet. I made it across before the people who had been waiting got to their respective side. A person who was just a short ways behind me just kept shuffling along. I don't know why that is but I have only seen one other person "hustle" at the crosswalk. I see so many that have about 15 feet to go when it says "walk" and they'll continue to drag their feet and make it to the button and press it before the crosswalk has stopped flashing red. In other words, they could have easily have made it if they had even broken into a very tiny jog. Why wouldn't one I'd like to know? I've had several times where I saw the sign give the go ahead and I'd be still a couple of hundred feet behind so I'd just break out into a flat run and make it to the other side before the people walking made it across. I'd rather not spend a minute or two waiting if I can help it. Not that I'm always in a rush but I don't mind giving it my "all" when I can.

Anyway, that was just something I was thinking about. Speaking of thinking... here's an amazing card trick that I came across, why don't you try it? Stumped as to how it "reads your mind?"
http://www.freakycards.com/

So after classes were over I came home and I figured I'd have tons of time to study, get some stuff done that I wanted to. I checked on my e-mail briefly and for "fun" just decided to check my work queue. I need to make a mental note that the Tip of the Week goes out on Tuesday. This week wasn't so bad, there was only about 70-80 messages in there and quite a few were out of office responses and such. Much less people were out of office this week, but apparently there were quite a few still on Thanksgiving vacation. Interesting...

I didn't get any hilarious questions or replies like previous weeks, I received about seven or eight responses that the person apparently was trying to reply to it having been forwarded to them by a parent or something but they sent it to me. So I was called "mom," "dad," "papy" and such today. Quite a few people were irate and wanted to be taken off the list. *sigh I guess we are coming into the holiday season where people's tempers get shorter faster than the days and where "jolly" is something you hear about only in those dumb songs the annoying children sing.

One person (replying to his mother no doubt) said
"I managed to unsubscribe both your and my email addresses from this awful Student Insurance Tip of the Week."

I felt almost like I was eavesdropping but hey! He sent it to me! I thought the tip of the week was a very friendly, interesting, and helpful thing, I've enjoyed reading it when I receive it myself. It's not like it's impossible to unsubscribe from either. Every e-mail has a link at the bottom that says "click here if you wish to UNSUBSCRIBE" or something to that effect. I had one person tell me to go.... somewhere.

One thing that was kind of funny is another person was sending a message back to her mom and she said "mom, you know better than to send this junk to me, am I going to have to block you for spam? Oh, and if you want to get me something for Christmas, get me some thermal underwear." I felt like saying "that's no way to talk to your mother!" Especially if you're asking for a Christmas present too. Sheesh.

Speaking of computers..... here's a quote for no apparent reason.
To err is human--and to blame it on a computer is even more so.
- Robert Orben

And another one!
Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.
- Doug Larson

Indeed! I'm sure many a student has used that excuse, though the thought had not previously entered my head. I do not have much to say and I should get back to Economics now. It's fairly simple but much better to be prepared than not.

My freeware of the week is one that I have a hard time doing without. It's called "E-Sword" and can be found at
www.e-sword.net
I think I shall bring my computer Sunday so I can show off some of its features but for those of you who may not see it and are interested, you should definitely check it out. It's quite amazing and what I really like is you can customize it almost completely. I have nearly every conservative work that you can get and I consult it constantly on difficult passages. Today for instance I read Spurgeon's Morning and Evening devotions on it as well as his Treasury of David for a Psalm I am memorizing. I have the Westminster Confession of Faith with the larger and shorter catechisms and also Josephus' historical works such as the Wars of the Jews, Calvin's Institutes of the Christian Religion, commentaries from Henry, Barnes, dictionaries, an encyclopedia etc. There is just SO much that you can do if you customize it. I also have Foxe's book of Martyrs and all of John Bunyan's works and volume 1 of both J.C. Ryle's and A.W. Pink's writings. There is more material here than I think I will be able to read but it's all there and it's all SEARCHABLE, which is extremely useful to me. For example, I wanted to know what Calvin said on baptism so I did a search and found the section. Even if this program was only for finding a specific Bible verse it would be extremely handy. I often remember all of the verse or at least the keywords but can't find the reference. It's a huge time-saver just because of that and well... you should try it if you have nothing like this or even if you do.

4 Comments:

At 7:37 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"To err is human, to forgive divine"--that comes from Alexander Pope's "Essay on Criticism". I learned that last week.

Lots of tests! The ones I'm most concerned about are Major British Writers and Oceanography, because I have to know all sorts of detailed information. Then there's an Honors paper to write, which is also detailed (and long!). *sigh*

Tonight in RUF we prayed specifically for people with finals--it's encouraging to remember that God has put us in college for a reason, and that we are to glorify Him as we work by doing our best.

 
At 4:33 AM PST, Blogger Shadow said...

I think I remember reading that quote was from Alexander Pope on your blog. Though the addition of a computer into the mix.... my brother is always complaining about the type of people who say "Yup, technology, you can't live without it and you can't live with it, yuk yuk yuk" because generally it's because they don't know what they're doing, not the computer's fault. So that quote was mainly for him.
I'm sure you'll do fine with the British Writers test, I mean, all you have to know is Chaucer, Shakespeare, Dickens and Doyle right? I'm sure Austen and the Bronte sisters might be included....
I'm joking of course, I'm sure it is much more detailed than that and I do hope they go well for you.
I'll pray for your finals as well as I know they are getting close.

 
At 3:22 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Home computers are being called upon to perform many new functions, including the consumption of homework formerly eaten by the dog.

I laughed at this quote. While dogs won't literally eat homework, MS Word WILL! It happened to me once or twice, when I was young, naive, and unwise to the ways of Microsoft.

Then I learned to auto-save my work every half-minute, and I no longer have to use that excuse (which is valid, by the way, if you have parental verification)...

I hope all your finals are completed to the satisfaction of everyone involved. The anxiety preceding a test has this way of escalating to monstrous proportions...

 
At 3:27 PM PST, Blogger Shadow said...

Actually, instead of getting anxious about a test... well I tend to get excited. Call it crazy but often when I go into a test say in Math for example, I am very "pumped up" and just itching to get started and pit myself against what the teacher can throw at me. Of course I want to get a good score too but it's the thrill of the challenge that I love. Which is probably why I love things like Jeopardy as well.....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home