Saturday, December 16, 2006

Finale: Finals are Finally Finished!

I apologize for the lack of posts this semester. Things haven't been extraordinarily busy yet I've had plenty to do every day.

My reading has been carried on, I'm not sure how many books I've finished this semester or year, I should attempt to keep track I suppose. I am currently mostly reading Henry's commentary on Genesis and enjoying it very much indeed! He brings thoughts out that would never have crossed my mind, Spurgeon said if a young pastor was to read Henry with his notebook in hand, he should not have lack of material for sermons and thoughts would begin to swarm about him like swallows. I do find it very thought-provoking and pleasantly fresh. The quotations that I like are far too voluminous to set down here though. My plan is to read through the entire commentary as I make my next trip through the Bible, it may take me three years at my current rate (of slightly more than a chapter a day) but I am very much looking forward to it.

This semester went very well, I have been notified of two A's so far and I'm fairly certain of A's in the other three. All the material I've been learning has been enjoyable and I feel as though I've been able to retain it rather well also, which is always nice to know. I think that my extra-curricular studying has helped with that oddly enough. All of the theological books that I try to read, instead of overloading, has been a source of much pleasure and peace. I had a classmate this semester, after I told him how many studies a week I participated in, tell me that he didn't know how I did all of that besides school, he felt sure he would feel completely swamped! On the other hand, I don't know how he goes all week without Bible studies and fellowship with other believers, it's such an encouragement to me!

I feel as though this semester has been very conducive to my spiritual growth as well. Oh I still have a long way to go in every department but as I look at the start of the semester as a bench-mark, and where I am now, I feel as though there has been definite progress. I didn't make it as far as I had hoped in all of my reading but I did make a bit of progress there as well. God has been very good to me this semester and I've been grateful for the N family especially. I was just adding it up today and realized that as of Sunday, there will have been 12 days in a row that I have seen at least one of them! From the Geography Bee (of which I was the officiating reader, Jonathan was the timer) to JP and Kacey's going away part, to Tulsa to Basketball.

This week has also seemed to have gone by very quickly. First, Monday was rather slow, I just read and studied (or reviewed rather) because I knew I might be gone most of the day Tuesday. As it was, Tuesday morning I woke up at 4:00 A.M. in pain, the details of which I would feel uncomfortable going into. I had some abdominal pains in my lower groin area and at about 6:00 ended up admitting myself to the emergency room (it was excruciating trying to drive). My plan was to go to Tulsa that afternoon but I didn't know if I'd be able to make it. I had an exam at 10:00 that morning, so this wasn't the best of timing.

God is merciful though, and by the time the doctor finally came in to see me (I hope there never is a true emergency, or I'd probably be dead by the time all the paperwork and rigamarole is through) I was feeling a bit better. They confirmed it wasn't something which could have been rather dangerous (which I thought it might be) and said it might be kidney stones. Well, I'm glad to say it's not because later that afternoon, I could walk around with only slight discomfort, by 5:00 I wouldn't have known there was anything wrong earlier in the day.

I had limped slowly to my 10:00 exam (refusing to pick up the pain prescription they gave me because it would make me drowsy) and STILL walked faster than most of the slow-pokes on campus, then went home and sat under a blanket with my eyes closed for a time, reviewing a few old Differential Equations exams and Calculus papers. I was thankful it had gone away in time for me to visit Tulsa. The evening was very pleasant and I was glad to spend time with F.B., Rachel and the RUFfians (in my mind they not quite crazed college students). Next time I may attempt a tussle myself (but I thought I'd better take it easy that day). I also need to arm-wrestle Bob. I'm almost sure he'd take me down but I almost never turn down a challenge (even if it's one of my own making)!

I ended up making it home somewhere after 11:00 and getting in bed close to 11:30. It had been a long, tiring day (from 4:00 to 11:30) but I was thankful for it. I was up at six the next morning and off to Calculus. For some reason I didn't get to bed until 11:00 that night either, then back up at 6:00 and then to bed somewhere after 10:30. I never really did get to sleep "on time" this week, and I'm not sure why. For being a relaxing week, it sure was busy!

Well, I'm going to close there while I'm ahead. If I continued on any longer it would probably only get more monotonous than it already is. Thanks to everyone who spoke to me, encouraged me, or prayed for me this semester, it has been a good one.

3 Comments:

At 6:27 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow,

I'm really glad the semester went so well. May next semester be even better.

-Arwen

 
At 6:57 AM PST, Blogger Petr said...

Easy week, yet packed full of stuff to do? That sounds very familiar, like something that happens to me on a regular basis...

I enjoy our little "chats", Shadow. I'll see if I can catch you later today.

;)

 
At 7:12 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad it's been a good semester. Oh, it feels wonderful to have finals over! :o)

I'll be praying as you drive home.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home