Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Divers Readings

Here's a couple of quotes that I'm sharing.

First, in Thomas Brooks' "Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices" I really appreciate the following under the device of "Suggesting to sinners their unworthiness" and so keeping them from Christ:

"The third remedy against this device of Satan is, that if the soul will keep off from Christ till it be worthy, it will never close with Christ, it will never embrace Christ. It will never be one with Christ, it must lie down in everlasting sollow. God hath laid up all worthiness in Christ, that the creature may know where to find it, and may make out after it. There is no way on earth to make unworthy souls worthy, but by believing in Christ. Believing in Christ, of slaves it will make you worthy sons; of enemies, it will make you worthy friends. God will count none worthy, nor call none worthy, nor carry it towards none as worthy, but believers, who are made worthy by the worthiness of Christ's person, righeousness, satisfaction, and intercession."

I just thought that was an excellent point, that all worthiness is laid up in Christ and that we can/should never seek to become worthy first before coming to him. Those who believe themselves to have a little wealth, upon these will Christ never come. But upon those who realize how completely destitute and poor they are, he delights to bestow the riches of his mercy.

The second quote from the same book is from Augustine who said

"He that willingly takes from my good name, unwilling adds to my reward."

That doesn't take any commentary :)

Now, I've been reading some of Matthew Henry's commentary on the Bible, I'm planning on working my way through it, probably these next couple of years, as my personal study. Spurgeon had highly recommended him to any young pastor and though I am not a pastor, nor aspiring to be one, I thought it would be good for me too. In commenting on the opening verses of chapter 2 of Genesis, when speaking of man's body he says:

"The body would be a worthless carcase, if the soul did not animate it. To God that gave us these souls we must shortly give an account of them, how we have employed them, used them, proportioned them, and disposed of them; and if then it be found that we have lost them, though it were to gain the world, we shall be undone forever...........Let us not be of those fools that despise their own souls, by preferring their bodis before them."

I just thought that was a very good point, both our body and our soul have been given to us by God, and as stewards we ought to use them wisely. The soul is the important part, the body is merely its instrument, yet so many people rashly choose the body and its delights over their eternal soul.

Lastly, I just had to share this, I read it several times because I thought it was very beautiful. When speaking of the creation of the woman he says:

"[Notice] that the woman was made of a rib out of the side of Adam; not made out of his head to rule over him, nor out of his feet to be trampled upon by him, but out of his side to be equal with him, under his arm to be protected, and near his heart to be beloved."

That's all for now.

3 Comments:

At 8:00 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good quotes. :o)

I especially like the one from Brooks. That stood out to me the last time I read the book. It's too easy for me to start to think that I have to make myself worthy for forgiveness--which is ridiculous, when you come to think about it, because if you're asking for forgiveness you obviously can't make yourself good anyhow.

 
At 11:50 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That last quote was used in our wedding service and I seem to remember it from several other weddings. Good to remember.

 
At 5:48 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow,

I thought I'd heard that quote from M. Henry before. The ones from Brooks stood out to me, too. It is so foolish the way people, my self included, will try to "earn" God's favor by doing or being a certain way. That is a trap that keeps us as Christians from really knowing and enjoying His mercy.

-Arwen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home