Wednesday, August 23, 2006

School and quotes: go well together.

Today was my busiest day of the week, but it all went well I thought. It was interesting though, in my Statics class, the instructor put on the projector that our problems we were to turn in for homework were:
2-16,44

So when I got home, I started working on them, starting with number two and kept right on through. They weren't especially hard, they were just lengthy! I noticed myself getting faster but at the same time (three hours later) I was thinking that this was going to be a very time-consuming class, especially since we are going to be turning in homework every class session (M,W,F). I was following all the homework guidelines carefully and when I was folding all sixteen pages in half and writing on the outside, I noticed in the example that it said "2-1,8,12"

And I smacked myself. It wasn't "2 through 16" it was CHAPTER 2, numbers 16 and 44. So I did a bunch more homework than required. I had a good laugh over it and realized that I only got more practice because of it. Though I still have other homework to finish up for other classes!

Lights on Stillwater went well this evening. Lots of people from the church were there, Sarah, Anna, Ruth, Jesse, Bill, Jeanne, Missy, Katie, Sam, JD, Stephen, Laura, Alan, Liz, Jonathan, Jon, JP, Kacey, Will, sorry if I missed anyone. The crew set out to hand out flyers (which disappeared very quickly) and then finished up with the pens. We handed out everything we had (that was for that purpose) and finished it by 9:00! I stayed until 9:45 talking with JP and then headed on home. I like to stay away from crowds as much as possible. We did have about 9 people sign their names to the sheet we had, interested in a study, so that was encouraging. Hopefully something comes of that. Hopefully the seeds we spread don't fall in vain! God gives the increase. Keep remembering that Shadow.

Now let me see, time for some great Spurgeon quotes! Here's one I really appreciated today and for everyday, it puts into words what I have often thought, and F.B. it reminded me of some of those discussions:

"I would cheerfully give up many doctrines if I believed they were only party watchwords, and were merely employed for the maintenance of a sect; but those doctrines of grace, those precious doctrines of grace, against which so many contend, I could not renounce or bate a jot of them, because they are the joy and rejoicing of my heart. When one is full of health and vigour, and everything going well, you might, perhaps, live on the elementary truths of Christianity very comfortably; but in times of stern pressure of spirit, when the soul is cast down, you want the marrow and the fatness. In times of inward conflict, salvation must be all of grace from first to last."

And again, reminding me of the discussion recently with GW:

"I have known some that, at first conversion, have not been very clear in the gospel, who have been made evangelical by their discoveries of their own need of mercy. They could not spell the word 'grace.' They began with a G, but they very soon went on with an F, till it spelt very like 'freewill' before they had done with it. But after they have learned their weakness, after they have fallen into serious fault, and God has restored them, or after they have passed through deep depression of mind, they have sung a new song. In the school of repentance they have learned to spell. They began to write the word 'free', but they went on from free, not to 'will' but to 'grace', and there it stood in capitals, 'FREE GRACE'... They became clearer in their divinity, and truer in their faith than ever they were before."

And lastly, reminding of me of my last post:

"If there were only one prayer which I might pray before I died, it should be this: 'Lord, send thy Church men filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire.' Give to any denomination such men, and its progress must be mighty: keep back such men, send them college gentlemen, of great refinement and profound learning, but of little fire and grace, dumb dogs which cannot bark, and straightway that denomination must decline."

The more I read of Spurgeon, the more I realize that he wasn't just a good preacher or a good "baptist," his heart truly was for the gospel. His wife recalled a sermon where she thought he would die, so passionate was he and finally croaked out "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus! Believe on Him!" before sitting down exhausted. He always had time for a person before the sermon, to kneel in prayer with them one-on-one, and yet he preached to ten thousand at a time (common gathering at the Metropolitan Tabernacle). And at the last, so I hear, he died more of a broken heart than anything. The man was bold in the things of Christ, yet mild and humble and I've come to realize a greater appreciation for his passion, and want that to be who I am too. Not someone who is shy about telling others in whom my trust is placed but one who will gladly proclaim, and indeed feel it an honour to do so! May my life be lived for Christ and may that be my consuming passion. Theology is good, very good. Doctrine enhances one's love. But that's just it. Without love for Christ, without Christ being the center of one's doctrine, that doctrine is rather dead.

3 Comments:

At 6:12 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again, thank you for the excellent quotes. The first one from Spurgeon reminds me of the many times I've encountered hostility to Calvinism. Not Christianity per se, but Calvinism itself. I've wondered why bother--but when I examine the Bible, and the doctrines I find there, I cannot give them up. They are too comforting, too strengthening, too founded in the Word of God to be discarded just because they've gotten bad press.

Your homework situation sounds familiar. I've spent the past few days frantically reading Augustine, but it turns out (hopefully) that we only had to read to page 78, not page 178. *groan*

 
At 7:04 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If there were only one prayer which I might pray before I died, it should be this: 'Lord, send thy Church men filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire.' Give to any denomination such men, send them college gentlemen, of great refinement and profound learning, but of little fire and grace, dumb dogs which cannot bark, and straightway that denomination must decline."

Shadow,

That made me think about how people put a false dichotomy between people who've been "educated" and those who are filled with the Holy Spirit and fire, although I'm not sure this quote is making that point. Why not realize that we can have both - university educated men who are on fire for the Lord. I realize that many universities are hotbeds of teaching that squelches the Holy Spirit, but it doesn't always have to be that way. I can give some examples, but I'll stop there. Well educated men who can articulate the Gospel well are people who can make a huge difference. They show the intellectual elite that the Gospel is not a leap in the dark or an irrational wishful thinking system. It is something real which they need to reconsider.

-Arwen

 
At 7:14 AM PDT, Blogger Shadow said...

Arwen:

I misquoted that and accidentally left out the middle part (both lines in the book started with "such men" and I just continued on to the second one). The full quote is:

"If there were only one prayer which I might pray before I died, it should be this: 'Lord, send thy Church men filled with the Holy Ghost and with fire.' Give to any denomination such men, and its progress must be mighty: keep back such men, send them college gentlemen, of great refinement and profound learning, but of little fire and grace, dumb dogs which cannot bark, and straightway that denomination must decline."

Which I think clarifies it a little. I'd agree with you completely though, that many people do seem to think that you have one or the other. One of my "heroes" in the Bible is Paul, I think I posted a quote from Schaff about him a while back. Paul was one of tremendous learning, yet he was willing to count it all loss. It served him well and he was able to bring logic and articulation that was unparalleled in Christian or secular writings. I think Spurgeon's point is that men who are "merely" educated and yet aren't filled with the Holy Ghost, are not really worth anything at all. Both qualities are good to have and I wouldn't want to be someone who was all fired up, yet knew nothing and taught heresy. Neither would I desire to be someone who knows much, yet has no love and the Spirit is not with him.

This morning I was reading Isaiah 30 and one verse said that one man would put a thousand to flight (a thousand Israelites) and that reminded me of Psalm 127 and how unless God be with us, it is vanity to strive to do it on our own strength because we certainly can't. This quote from Spurgeon probably had a lot more in context but it's all Murray quoted in the book I'm reading and I appreciated what I took to be the meaning behind it. I apologize for not quoting the entire thing, that was my mistake.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home