Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Biblical Readings

It was interesting. For those of you who don't know, I was writing a paper a while back on the subject of Infant Baptism for the pastor here at the Reformed Baptist Church. It was an area of struggle for me nearly a year ago and after a time of study I had changed my position to accept it, then after nearly a year of thought, I was ready to put it into words when the pastor asked me my position. Then for some reason I was going through some old e-mails and found one that I had sent to JP back when I had first met him and knew he was having some struggle with the same issue (which by then I had settled in my mind). One part of the e-mail said this:

"Mr. Fisher (and I don't think it is intentional in the slightest)
seems to think that everyone who has a view opposed to Infant Baptism,
is not seeing Scripture as a whole but is chopping it up. Now I would
disagree at least with my background although I do know many who do
indeed fit that description."

How things have changed! In my paper I had written almost the same thing that I had gathered from Mr Fisher. I basically said that I was approaching the Scripture from a whole rather than dissecting the parts. Looking at the spirit of the gospel rather than holding to the letter, or the words and sentence structures themselves, dissecting them as an interesting specimen. I did not remember that I had written this to JP at all but it was very interesting to me to see it. I realize now that I WAS part of that group who was "chopping" it up. I'm very thankful to have been growing in that area.

And among other things....

Okay, this is NOT something I am very comfortable with but I did want to make a few comments on the book of the Bible I've just finished in my "Read Through the Bible in a Year" program, since a lot of things stuck out. The book that I have often said should be rated PG-13 or even R: Song of Solomon. I know it's not bad especially for married folks and that it signifies Christ's love for His church and there are many interesting parallels in there (I'm learning that there are many great examples of Christ's love for the church as I looked more in depth), but golly! He sure can be graphic! Much of this book I would feel extremely uncomfortable if I were called to read it aloud.

First of all, here are some things that really struck me as odd:
Son 2:8-9
"The voice of my beloved! Behold, he comes, leaping over the mountains, bounding over the hills. My beloved is like a gazelle or a young stag."

While admittedly that does remind me of myself (I loved rock-hopping when we would go backpacking and would skip and jump and scale boulders, landing fifteen feet below, running), it still seems very strange as a description. Perhaps it describes Christ's coming speedily for His bride? Barnes points out that she recognizes the voice of her beloved, like the sheep know Christ's voice.

Another note, Solomon's description of the Shulamite's neck being like the Tower of David just plain baffles me. I think that could easily be taken the wrong way.
As could telling her that her belly is like a heap of wheat in 7:2. That strikes me as Okie. "Ya know Emaline? Yur belly's lahk a sack 'o wheat. All nahce an' purty like." Of course it is a reference to richness, or colour, or something like that. Something I don't need to ponder on.

When the Shulamite describes Solomon, she said that his body is polished ivory. Yup, that fits me too, at least everything but my arms and face. My legs haven't seen the sun in years.....


Now for things that I really liked:

Over an over again, the phrase "do not stir up or awaken love until it pleases." occurs. I'm assuming until it is an appropriate time or so they do not waste away with passion.

Son 5:16
"This is my beloved and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem."

That feeling of being not only an interested suitor, but a friend as well, I appreciated that.

Son 8:1
"Oh that you were like a brother to me.."

This conveys a very close and endearing relationship, I liked what Barnes said upon the matter:
"Would he were indeed as a "brother," her mother’s own child whom she might meet, embrace, and welcome everywhere without restraint or shame. Her love for him is simple, sacred, pure, free from the unrest and the stains of mere earthly passion."


Overall, every time I am coming upon this book I somewhat have been dreading it because of so many VERY descriptive and graphic instances, but I realize for that time it was all done in purity and I can learn from the examples of especially what I pointed out just above and what Barnes said. I guess the Hebrews were a lot more open about such things than we are but I don't know if I'll ever be completely comfortable reading this book. I can't imagine if a preacher was to preach through it, would it have to be an adult only class? But anyway, I'm anxious to start on Isaiah now :)

5 Comments:

At 5:44 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not the only one uncomfortable with it. Perhaps revisiting the OT Survey class on Song of Solomon would help.

-Arwen

 
At 7:17 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dad did a Bible study on the Song of Solomon, with a mixed bunch of adults and CYers in attendance (that was when we had too few CYers for them to have their own Bible study). And I must say that I was *quite* uncomfortable with parts of it for the reasons you described.

 
At 10:47 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

My parents never understood the point of making young CYers (thirteen, fourteen) sit in on those Song of Songs studies, just because (in theory) we were Too Old To Play Outside. Even the analogy of Christ and the Church broke down completely for us, because we had very little (if any) appreciation for romantic love. It was a waste of time. And yes, it was also embarrassing. x_x

 
At 9:36 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow: I hope you won't mind an older person making a comment, but I think unless a person is your best friend and your love, the greatness won't be there. I have a new widow friend, and we both agree that our husbands were also our closest confidant, friend and love. It all comes together and is greatly missed when one leaves to go on ahead. Also I have been reading C.S. Lewis on death, marriage, chastity in the August devotional booklet of his and it all comes together to make some sense finally. He does a good job. Try it. Gus

 
At 5:28 AM PDT, Blogger Shadow said...

Thank you very much Gus, I really appreciated that. I do agree with you and that is one of the things that I subtly noticed and appreciated about this book. As Barnes was saying, it was something of a pure friendship, like a brother and sister and not for lustful reasons and that kind of a relationship is one which I think would be most glorifying to God, especially because it is symbolic of the relationship Christ has for His bride the Church.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home