Thursday, August 10, 2006

Photos? No way!

Okay, this blog is in need of an update.

Since my folks have been gone (on a cruise to Alaska!) this is what has been going on:

The first day, we lounged around, I did some CD burning for David, worked on my paper a little bit (revising) did a lot of spreadsheet work and pretty much just got a lot of little things done. In the afternoon I watched a movie with my youngest sister, the first time in a long time I've done that! It was Monster's Inc. I absolutely love that movie! I think I laugh harder than anyone else I've ever seen. Anna and I may have to have a contest on that sometime.... In the afternoon I played Mario Golf with my two youngest sisters, which was quite a bit of fun too. The days kind of run together though. Tanner and I moved some fence panels and I went and stripped off the forms from the concrete we had been working on the day before. And, I'm hoping to finish all of Hodge's Systematic Theology by next week when I leave for Stillwater.

I've also had a couple of chances to talk to Jonathan and my good friend Silas back in California. He just started a blog and I'd like to say "hi Silas!" (he says "hi everybody!")
http://silas-blog.blogspot.com/

The next day was Wednesday and we went to the Bible study in the evening. The youth pastor there is very, very good at working with the youth. I have been sitting in on the sessions because they are showing some movies on the Calvinism vs. Arminianism debate (kind of an introduction) and I want to make sure my siblings understand it. There was a girl there who was fifteen and she asked my sisters how they got there. Dakota pointed to me and she said "he can drive?!" She said yes, that I was twenty-one. "Twenty-one! Wow, I thought he was like, fifteen or something!" Which made me laugh. Another girl said she thought I was about that age but that my brother was about twenty-four (he's eighteen). Kind of odd I thought :D

Speaking of odd, do you recall how I was saying that there are some "typical" poorly misspelled e-mails that I get from time to time? Well, I just received one the other day and I have to say that it nearly beats every other one I have ever seen.

"yea its cul havin some1 2 talk 2 thx i luv teh mall. i no wut u mean lolz.
ur liek sweet 2 ur sis wiht teh mall an al taht lolz i wish my sis wud tak
i 2 teh mall. i liek luuuv 2 shop. i liek too go wiht my sis but shes liek
"nooo" and im liek "yesss" she has teh car lolz so i nevr go wit her big
siss r soo mean there liek sooo mean. i wud liek 2 stop liek a carz breaks
but i dont have enuf time lolz u rite alot.

l8rs"

Isn't that just horrible? I can't believe that people would send something like this. I had a hard time making head or tail of it. ;)

Now.... Today was Thursday and decided to do something constructive so I decided to work on the fire pit outside the house and build some benches. I had Tanner bring up some gravel and the three girls brought over the rest of the river rock that we had and got a few bricks. You can kind of see what we did with the pit: we made it look a lot better! Earlier, I had gone out with the chainsaw and Bobcat and got a large log and a smaller, skinnier one. I used the skinny one for "posts" and the large one I sawed in half for benches. I plan on getting a couple more logs for more posts and two more benches. In the picture you can see the completed bench, plus another post and a hole that needs a post.






Speaking of pictures, here is two of the three pictures (yay!) that I took on the mission trip up to Stillwater. Yeah, I only took three pictures the entire time, don't laugh. There were plenty of other photographers there! My mom likes my pictures that I do take, but admittedly she hates scenery. She likes photos of people and I rarely do that unless I think I can get the "perfect shot."




And here is also a picture I took the other morning. For some reason I am fascinated by clouds and sun bursting through them especially.



And lastly, when I was watching the film of my "stand up comedian act" (which I cringed at as I saw it, I needed a much better script) I saw myself turn to the side and thought "is that what I look like? For real? Does my nose really stick out that much?" I guess I just never see my profile because either I'm look head-on in the mirror as I shave, or I see my own picture as I look at myself. So I took a profile shot of myself ;)



I am very picky as to pictures but I couldn't get that little shadow out without some major editing. And... after all, having a SHADOW there is rather ironic!

7 Comments:

At 5:21 AM PDT, Blogger Shadow said...

I know! Isn't that e-mail terrible? Methinks someone needed to "rip" the original thread to shreds, pointing out each and all errors ;)

A Beanie Baby version would be great! I thoroughly enjoyed the play they put on at the talent show. It was a big hit.

As you aptly said before, Owen will gladly fill in where Hodge takes a rest. I've been dying to get to Owen anyway, I've only read one of his books and I really liked it. I mean, who wouldn't want to read a book with the great title "The Death of Death in the Death of Christ"?

 
At 10:12 AM PDT, Blogger erudil said...

Interesting, the idea of you being fifteen :-) In Ohio, you can drive legally on public highways at the age of fifteen, but only with a parent or legal guardian in the front passenger seat.
Sorry, I did laugh when I read that you only took three pictures. I suppose that, if I worshipped with this congregation throughout the schoolyear and lived in the same area, I'd take far fewer pictures. I must admit: the sunrise picture (3) is amazing.
Also: how did you take the profile picture?

 
At 10:30 AM PDT, Blogger Shadow said...

Well, one of the reasons I take very few pictures is that I'm pretty picky on what pictures I have. I've probably got only about a hundred to two hundred on my computer and I've had my camera for two years. Even though I have plenty of space, I like my pictures to look "good." That, and I guess I like to take pictures that are appealing to me and while I have quite a few photos of people, most of the time I take pictures of scenery (or that sunrise) it seems. I enjoy playing around with exposures. It's much easier on a manual camera, though there is something of an art to it on a digital camera as well. The sunrise picture I purposely focused in on something bright (the sun) to make the rest of it look darker, and brought in the windmill as a silhouette against the sky.

The profile shot I took just in my bedroom by setting the timer. Then I added the blurred circle in GIMP (a free Photoshop-type program), which I have played around with a little bit in times past.

 
At 10:23 AM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Now it's paper airplanes. They have the aerodynamics down to a science (on one of them, at least), and have spent the entire morning throwing them around the dining room under a spinning fan. It kept them busy, anyway. :)

Shadow, fret not about thine nose. In the words of Edmund Rostand (in "Cyrano de Bergerac"),

A large nose is the mark of a witty, courteous, affable, generous and liberal man.

That picture did have me a bit puzzled, because someone so obviously meddled with it. But I understand now. And for the record, your nose does not stick out. You do not look fifteen. And everybody I talked to thought your comedy act was hilarious.

Sounds like you've been having a good time with your family. We'll be glad to see you back in church this Sunday.

 
At 1:44 PM PDT, Blogger Shadow said...

Thanks! I have always claimed to have a large nose and I proudly maintain that if I'm ever on a boat, in the fog, and the fog-horn happens to break down, I'll be able to take over (I blow my nose very loud). I like the quote though! I'm going to have to start using that for a signature somewhere.... ;)

The paper airplanes sound like fun! My brother and I used to try to build the best ones we could and then have "duels" by throwing them at eachother.

 
At 3:55 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That e-mail stinketh to high heaven. It has all the writers from Homer to Heaney turning over in their graves (except Heaney, who's not dead yet). :o)

Good pictures. Philip likes to take landscapes, too. He and I balance each other: he handles the landscapes, and I handle the people.

 
At 10:42 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow,

My dad used to have comments made about his big ears, which really were over sized, in contrast to your nose which sticks out no more the average nose. He used to say in a manner reminiscent of the Calvin who owns Hobbes that large ears are a sign of intelligence. If your nose does stick, I say, fine. Comes in handy when you get into a spot in which clean air is scarce.

By the way, it's interesting to take note of prominent facial features when you're in a long line, or something, and feel as though you need someting to pass the time. This works well in a place like an airport or bus station or even Walmart.

-Arwen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home