Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Nothing new under the sun

Well, here are some rambling thoughts for today:

I was just thinking on Luther's life today after listening to a survey of James by Alan and how Luther was very bold, sometimes he was very right, other times he was most definitely wrong. And this led me to think about all the godly men of all the ages, many who were used as mighty tools, yet none of them (as far as I know) were entirely correct. Calvin strongly believed that John's Baptism was the same as the baptism of Christ, which I do not believe to be correct. Luther believed in some kind of baptismal regeneration, none of these men were perfect. Why? Well, part of the reason could be because these "great" men, or ones whom we are more familiar with because they were so prominent, engaged on a multitude of issues and the odds are not in their favour that they would be absolutely correct on all of these different issues. But another reason that I think is more important, is that if any one of these men did come to perfection when preaching doctrine, they would gather a large following. Even without that, there are many who today would call themselves "Lutherans" and follow what Luther taught for the most part (though I realize it was changed after his death even). There was only on Man who was perfect in all of his teaching and that was the Lord Jesus Christ. Even the apostles, Peter for example, stumbled at times. This leads me to conjecture that one reason each of these men had such faults is that we might not look to them and follow their teachings rather than the teachings of Scripture. I believe Calvin to have been very sound in almost everything he taught, yet he wasn't perfect and in a way I'm glad of it lest someone should accuse me of following Calvin, or "being of Calvin." Pink was a very godly man yet he certainly had a couple of erroneous views and I'm thankful for that too because otherwise I might be tempted to say "I am of Pink."

It was just something I was musing about today and I thought I would share. I scarcely would hope that I myself would have errors, though I am certain I do and in a way I suppose it is both humbling for myself and good for others, lest they should seek my advice rather than the Scripture's teaching. That doesn't mean I won't strive to be diligent that I might help if at all possible though! As much as is given to me.

I worked on my paper I was writing, then got into an argument with my brother who claimed that some guy's webpage was "unaccessible" to which I retorted that it was "inaccessable" and he disputed the matter. Ah, such are the good times back at home!

4 Comments:

At 8:07 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thoughts, Logan. Hadn't seen it that way before, but it's a good perspective to have.

 
At 5:30 PM PDT, Blogger erudil said...

Pink?

Oxford does say that it is "inaccessible", but it also reminds us that "in-" or "im-" are largely restricted to Latin words, and truly English words more often take "un-".

:-)

 
At 7:41 PM PDT, Blogger Shadow said...

Sorry, A.W. Pink, he was quite influential in many people's lives, including my own. Iain Murray wrote a biography on him. I also mentioned him in my testimony, saying that I don't agree with everything he says, but he did get me interested in theology! He's been dead for close to 50 years now I think.

 
At 7:37 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good points.

It's dangerous to want to see the great people as perfect, but everyone is imperfect. It acts as a comfort to us so that we don't try to earn our salvation by being "as perfect as Paul" or "as perfect as David"(because we certainly can't be perfect) and as a warning so that we are constantly reminded to look to Christ as the only perfect one, and not to trust anyone to save us except Him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home