Saturday, February 02, 2008

Not quite as scheduled....

So sometimes a day doesn't always go as planned. Or perhaps it never goes as planned. I think it's a humbling experience and makes me mindful that I am reliant upon God for every day. Even if I don't say it, that should always be in my mind: that I am not the one who controls my life, God does.

So what happened?

Well, I'd planned on getting quite a bit of studying done. You know, finish a lab report, work on some homework, write a prelab, things like that. Things were going nicely this morning. Since it was the first Saturday of the week it was time to clean. And like every Saturday morning, my roomies were nowhere to be found ;)

I vacuumed out the top cabinets (finally!), managed to make some cookies, and start some N---- beans for supper. I heard a hissing sound from the back and quickly ran into the hallway to see what was going on. The hot-water heater was blowing water out the top. I shut off the water going to it and it subsided. After waiting for it to cool a bit I took a look at it. I didn't know if it was just hot and something was steaming or what the problem was exactly. Every time I turned the water on and it got to the top (I was draining it with a hose) it would start spraying out the top again.

It turned out that there was a small pinhole right at the top of the heater. A hotwater heater is constructed like a cylinder inside a cylinder. The inner "core" is empty and hot air flows from the burner below up to the top. Then the water is in the outer ring. Well, the pinhole had sprung in the inner ring so water was spraying out and dripping directly down onto the burner. Not good.

I thought about trying to patch it up but realized that if the wall was that thin, then it probably would just spring another leak sometime soon. So I borrowed Dan Y's truck and got a new one at Lowe's. Since I was the only one home today, it took a bit of maneuvering to get the old heater out, and the new one in. The new one was bigger than the older so I had to make a few modifications and an extra trip to Lowe's for some parts. But it's hooked up now and doesn't appear to be leaking, which is a good sign! Lowes would have installed it for another $260! That wasn't about to happen..... It was already more expensive than I'd anticipated.

Now when I turn on the hot water in the kitchen, it's almost with a sense of pleasure. It's amazing how little conveniences like that are so often taken for granted.

So that's two lessons learned today: Never think that I control my day, let alone perfectly, and be thankful for the conveniences I have.

Now I really should get started on some homework :(

7 Comments:

At 11:59 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it happened :( but very thankful you had the skills to fix the problem! Have a great worship day!!!

 
At 12:32 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, at least it didn't explode completely. Your abilities to fix just about anything never cease to amaze me. *grin*

 
At 7:02 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really should watch Myth Busters about the water heater. They managed to send it about 400 feet into the air amid loud guffaws. My whole family thought it was pretty funny, too. But then again, it wasn't ours, and they were doing it on purpose. Glad you were there at the time.

 
At 7:20 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow--I second FB on both sentences. I think my unexpected Saturday was worse, though; I thought I was going to study all day, and I wound up going shopping instead... if I could fix a water heater, I think I'd rather do that.

(I'm slightly kidding. I'm glad it all turned out all right, and thanks for the reminder that we should really be relying on God as the ultimate schedule-maker.)

It was for an algebra/trig class, but it was mostly algebra. It was very easy, and I'm slightly embarrassed about my grade... thanks for asking. =)

I have now experience the joyous wonders of prelabs, though I'm sure mine are pathetically easy next to yours--at least I'd hope so. =D Ours frequently involve discussing or learning something from a TA, so I've figured out by trial and error what time which TAs are in the computer lab, and go there accordingly. Some of them are really eager to help, and others are just doing it for goodness knows what reason. It helps to get a good TA. =)

Well, I'm rambling on when I should be working... guess I'll talk to you later...

 
At 7:21 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh--that third paragraph. Sorry about the lack of clarity. It was re: your inquiry after my math exam.

 
At 5:12 PM PST, Blogger Petr said...

Letterboxing: very much like geocaching. Somebody leaves a box out in the middle of nowhere, puts the coordinates on a website, and waits for somebody else to find it.

This is a randomly timed answer to your pressing question on Hopper's blog. :)

 
At 9:59 AM PDT, Anonymous Boob said...

La corrupción en FOGUAVI, ha sido denunciada y atacada incluso por los miembros de su Junta Directiva,Fernando PaizMaselli representante de ANACOVI ante la junta directiva del Fondo Guatemalteco para la Vivienda, nos comenta las batallas libradas dentro de la junta directiva de FOGUAVI y relata cómo el fantasma de la corrupción y el tráfico de influencias tienen sometida a esta institución.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home