Monday, May 15, 2006

The Shadow Falls

I am an arrogant person.

That is what was on my mind this morning, mainly I think it was started because of a quote from Pink that I was reading earlier in the morning. He said:

"'Hast laid the foundation of the earth.'
We have been deeply impressed with the fact that God has some good reason for referring in His Word to 'the foundation' and 'foundations' of the earth or world more than twenty-five times. We believe it is to safeguard His people from the popular delusion of the day, namely that the earth revolves on its axis, and that the heavenly bodies are stationary, only appearing to our sight to move, as the banks and trees seem to be doing to one seated in a rowing-boat or sailing ship. This theory was first advanced (so far as the writer is aware) by Grecian heathen philosophers, echoes by Compernicus in the fifteenth century, and re-echoed today by science 'falsely so called' (see 1 Tim. 6:20) to-day. Alas, that so many of God's servants and people have accepted it. Such a conceit cannot be harmonised with 'a foundation' so often predicated of the earth; which, necessarily, implies its fixity! Nor can such a theory be squared with the repeated statements of the Holy Writ that the 'sun moves' (Joshua 10:12), etc. Thewriter is well aware that this paragraph may evoke a pitying smile from some. But this will not move him. Let God be true and every man a liar. We are content to believe what He has said. Paul was willing to be a fool for Christ's sake (1 Cor. 4:10), and we are willing to be thought a fool for the Scripture's sake." - A.W. Pink, Exposition of Hebrews, Baker, pg. 72

If you caught all of that, he is among the people who thought that everything moved around the earth and that the earth is in the center of the universe and remains motionless. I admire him wanting to remain true to the Scriptures but he is so certain that his reading of them is correct that he will consider everything else false. He has done this before with other passages and I believe that to be a bit dangerous. I guess I am in the same way as regards to Creation vs. Evolution, another "lie" of science today, but I don't see any evidence for it and it makes God's power to be less than what the Genesis account describes, that He spoken and it was so, not "eventually it was so." Hodge said:

"As the Bible is of God, it is certain that there can be no conflict between the teachings of the Scriptures and the facts of science. It is not with facts, but with theories, believers have to contend. Many such theories have, from time to time, been presented, apparently or really inconsistent with the Bible. But these theories have either proved to be false, or to harmonize with the Word of God, properly interpreted. The Church has been forced more than once to alter her interpretation of the Bible to accomodate the discoveries of science. But this has been done without doing any violence to the Scriptures or in any degree impairing their authority. Such change, however, cannot be effected without a struggle. It is impossible that our mode of understanding the Bible should not be determined by our views of the subjects of which it treats. So long as men believed that the earth was the centre of our system, the sun its satellite, and the stars its ornamentation, they of necessity understood the Bible in acordance with that hypothesis. But when it was discovered that the earth was only one of the smaller satellites of the sun, and that the stars were worlds, then faith, although at first staggered, soon grew strong enough to take it all in and rejoice to find that the Bible, and the Bible alone of all ancient books, was in full accord with these stupendous revelations of science." -Systematic Theology, Volume 1, pg 573

To which I agree. Anyway, Pink, in all of his writings, writes very authoritatively and while most of it is extremely good and convicting, yet I think that his lack of accountability with other believers did lead him down the path of arrogance to a certain extent. It is true that they had many disagreeances with so many different churches but this was partially because he was so certain that how he read the Bible was right that he had parts of many different branches and couldn't find a church he deemed to be true. So he and his wife stayed by themselves in their house every Lord's Day for many years, feeling it was better to do that than subject themselves to that which is false. But that has to be hurtful to a believer over the years! But as I pondered this, it did disturb me a bit because I see a lot of Pink in myself, when I first started reading him it was good because it got me excited and much of his topical treatments are extremely good and I would recommend them, but at the same time, he tries to go into as much detail as possible on every level and he does it so authoritatively that it can be dangerous at times. He is certain that his interpretation is correct, especially at certain points of his life I'm finding. I found when reading him that there were so many arguments that I had used myself against other people online, certain lines of logic. All too often I depend on my own reasoning skills (the majority of people on the Internet are not too hard to out-reason) instead of relying on the Holy Spirit to do the work and me just proclaiming and being there.

There is a place for authoritativeness and most Christians today are too mild in things they should be trumpeting. It is time to go back to the Puritans in that sense, but when it comes to intricate doctrines, I must let the Word form my beliefs rather than come to it trying to gather Scriptures to prove my own belief to someone else, which admittedly I have done before. I'm fool myself into thinking I'm so enthusiastic to defend the Bible when in fact it's often a desire to defend my own credibility or ego. It seemed to me that there was a bit of bitterness or "take that" feeling when Pink quoted "let every man be a liar." Which I have done too. In debates with my friend in California, or with J. Nathan, sometimes I will employ the same tactic: to gather Scriptures which I think relevant to my own case by "skim" over those which I think might lend support to his, and that is wrong. The entire Scripture must form ME, I must conform to it and let it mold me. If I give willingly I shall be like the reed, which gives in the wind, if I try to act like an oak and bend to my wishes, it shall break me. This arrogance that is in me! The pride that causes me to think that I am better than others in wisdom and knowledge. As each day goes by it seems to grow, not decrease, but my abhorrence and awareness of it has increased as well, for which I am grateful but how I would like to be completely free of it forever!

So that is by far the main thing I (with the Spirit's help) am working on to curb in my own heart. As far as books go, I finished volume 1 of Hodge's Systematic Theology last week and really enjoyed it. I'm currently working on B.B. Warfield's articles on the "Westminster Assembly and its Work" (subtly suggested to me by Mr N), Spurgeon's Sermons still, Pink's Exposition of Hebrews, "Hold Fast" a sketch of Covenant Truth and its Witnesses (which I am reading to my siblings) and "Jungle Doctor," also recommended by Mr N and which I am also reading to my siblings, I started the first chapter tonight.

This past week my father and I went out to lunch with the pastor of the Velma fellowship, which some of you may remember my father mentioning. They seem like a group of people that truly desire to serve God in a biblical fashion and see so much of the superficiality of today, yet there were a few things we wanted to talk to them about because we had heard certain things. The meeting itself went well and these were the main points that came out of it:

1. They do believe that a person who is truly saved, can fall into perdition and be eternally lost if they allow Satan to get a foothold. Now they do believe that the Holy Spirit sanctifies over the believer's life but he can let himself go essentially. Afterwards I showed my parents what the Westminster Confession said on the matter and I had a very strong urge to read volume 11 of John Owen's works, which deals with the Perserverance of the Christian.

2. They believe that a believer can be sinless (daily) in this life but only through the Holy Spirit's power. I would agree with that to an extent as well and he tried to stress that only through the Holy Spirit could this be done. I'm not sure what to think about this and I remember F.B. mentioning the same thing had come up. Because while I believe it is possible to go through a day without sinning in word, thought, or deed (only by the Holy Spirit's power) the question is, DOES that happen? I do NOT believe that we can reach a state of sinless perfection where we become so good on earth that we "cannot" sin any more. This has the potential to be a dangerous doctrine if taken too far, or it can be an encouragement. Like the Puritans, I think that daily there would be things revealed in my own heart that I'd not seen before and I would never think of myself as being in that state. To do so could evoke a) pride, or b) praise. I know in my own heart there would always be a touch of the former.

3. They believe that a Christian (and we're talking a true believer here) can, by not being on guard and watching, become demon posessed. Apparently in one service (I wasn't there, but my father told me) the pastor addressed Satan directly and said something like "get out of here Satan, you have no power over us." Though please don't quote me on that. The essential thing is that he addressed Satan in his prayer and rebuked him. Which as I recall, even Michael wouldn't do. He said that if we are told to guard against Satan that this must mean he can have some hold on us. I would think however that to say that there can be the indwelling of the Holy Spirit and then the indwelling of an evil spirit is blasphemy! Isn't that somewhat of the point of the parable about the house that is filled with evil spirits in Matt. 12:43-45? It was when the house was empty and swept (outward reform) that the spirits came back, not filled with the Spirit and the fruits of grace. I know Spurgeon would say that. *grin*

In a way it was discouraging but at the same time, I think that they probably are more willing to listen to Scripture and to a Christian Brother than someone in the Baptist church, so it's kind of like being stuck between a stone and a hard place. Go to the Baptist church and endure? Try to help the people there to reform? The people run it so if the pastor did start preaching about TULIP and things like that, I'm sure he'd be kicked out pretty fast (that's what happened to the pastor at the Velma fellowship, he was discharged after he started reading and studying more), or do you go to the Velman fellowship, and sit under teaching that is definitely erroneous, preaching that is not very well-thought out (or so it seems, he does have a full-time job besides pastoring and his family)?

There was another option, my mom looked for Reformed Baptist Churches in the area and found one (I had previously looked for Reformed churches nearby but didn't see any). We did go there this past Sunday. I thought the service was done fairly orderly and the sermon was good and stronger than any of the other Baptist pastors around here, but they have strong Southern Baptist ties and it did show. There was the time during the service where everybody just goes around saying "hello" (I never understood why they did that in the middle of the singing). It just doesn't seem to really prepare the heart for worshipping GOD, who should be our focus at the time. The singing was mixed between praise songs and hymns (I missed the Psalms very much at that time). We spoke with the pastor afterward and he asked me what I do in my spare time, I said that I have been reading theology and he said "Oh! I'll have to talk to you some time then, I like that too." I couldn't tell if he was joking or not but he didn't seem to be. I would think a pastor would enjoy theology though! He also asked where I had been going to church while at school and I excitedly told him that I was a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America and had been going to the congregation there in Stillwater, the only one of that denomination in the state. He said something along the lines of "Reformed Presbyterian? Huh. Yeah, unfortunately sometimes all you can find is a Presbyterian church." I know he wasn't joking and I was a bit taken aback. Perhaps he misunderstood my previous statements and thought I was complaining that it was the only church in town?

As for me, I have to admit that I was rather homesick for my own church family and was missing it sorely. You don't really realize how much you truly love something until you have to leave it, and I didn't know how much I really appreciated the church until I went to another one and things were just more shallow. I have been thoroughly spoiled and I don't know how I'll survive anywhere else!

That may be the best choice for my family though. There was no altar call I should mention (the pastor told us that he does use it occassionaly but doesn't like to associate a physical action with something that takes place in the heart. They are having a revival soon. I still have Murray's book entrenched in my mind and I'm leery of "planned" revivals, I don't know what they mean by the term though, perhaps a "refreshing" time, they are having two preachers come in and times of prayer, which sounds good. Should that not be the state the church is always in though? And then God gives the increase by the pouring out of His Spirit.

Well, this is a long, rambling post. Lots on the mind, not much time to share it (Do I hear a sigh of relief?). I miss you all in Stillwater! I was glad to get the prayer list. I felt disconnected not being there, yet imagining it.
Oh, work? We installed Cabinets today.

4 Comments:

At 12:48 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow,

We miss you, too.

I can truly say, I know some of what you speak. We were in Stillwater for 5 years before the RPCNA church was organized as a "mission church" and a pastor was called. During that 5 years we would occasionally visit other RPCNA churches. When the Psalms were sung, it was hard to sing along because I was so moved in my soul with thankfulness. Hard to explain...

I'm glad you and your dad together were able to speak with the pastors of the churches you mentioned. So much more can be discovered about the doctrine of a church when you can privately ask questions and talk at length about issues. It's good to know where each other stand. And it's good to have a person like your dad on your side in such conversations.

-Arwen

 
At 3:53 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, Shadow--everyone misses you up here. In Jonathan's story on Sunday night, you continued to devour books at an alarming rate. But it didn't seem as funny any more, because you weren't actually there. Speaking of not there...(of all things!) after the second service we had to clean everything up ourselves! :D

Christians treat each other very poorly. That is probably one reason the church doesn't progress as it could. It wasn't your fault at all--every time anyone mentions "Reformed Presbyterian" around any other normal sort of Christian, the hackles go up. Even my (abnormal) Reformed Episcopalian teacher spent part of a history lecture once upon a time to inform me that Presbyterian church government has no Biblical precedent. (That surprised me, coming from one whose beliefs align so closely to mine in every other respect, especially history.) And when I have to tell any other Christian which church I go to, they say (half-sarcastically) "Huh. I'm just a normal Christian." (That really isn't exactly the kindest thing to say, is it?)

 
At 10:16 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting post--thanks for the food for thought. :) I know you are missed here. JNathan is coming over for supper tonight, and it'll be weird having him but not you, I'm sure, at least for the rest of my family.

The question of sinlessness has come up before, earlier in the semester, with some of my friends. I'm inclined to disagree, but I really don't know, and the question puzzles me.

I'll be praying for you. I know what it's like to be away from home, not to be able to sing the Psalms. That's one of the greatest torments anyone could inflict on an RP. :)

Oh, whoop, they're watching TTT downstairs! I'd better go. :)

 
At 8:16 PM PDT, Blogger Unknown said...

I am "non-denominational," but if there was a denomination that my family (my dad) came closest to joining, it would be RP. In fact, we almost joined Park Cities Presbyterian in Dallas, a PCA church with over 5000 members. My dad was going to be ordained through the church, but something happened before that event could take place.

The thing was, while he was going through the process, he saw all the ugliness that goes on behind churches of that size: he saw corruption, greed, arrogance (lots of arrogance. RP's are intellectuals :), deceit, fear. He saw people, in short, in all their wicked glory. He also saw that the somehow, the wealthy people were the people in power. The demographic too was astonishing: I think that most people know (but correct me if I'm wrong...) that the Presbyterian denomination in general is dominantly white. Why? Because it is rich. The poorer races in Dallas (Southeast Asian refugees, blacks, Hispanics) were not in anyway discouraged from going to PCPC (rather, encouraged!), but you never saw them there because they did not feel comfortable. (The way that money separates people even in the church is a whole new can of worms...)

Hold on a sec, I'm not RP-bashing! But, unfortunately, I'm not done either. At the time PCPC noted the problem (that all their congretation was upper-middle-class-white) and was starting a church for innercity children, second-generation Southeast Asians born to refugees. They wanted my dad to pastor that church. Well, my father said that he could not accept certain portions of PCPC's doctrine, and so they refused to ordain him.

Then PCPC went on a quest to find a different pastor for this brand-new church. Missionary opportunity right there in the city? You'd think it'd be an easy one! But nope. Out of a church of 5,000 members... not one person was willing to be a shepherd to the church. Not one person stepped forward! So my father went and was ordained elsewhere (that's another story :) and came back to pastor the church, and PCPC, seeing a lack of anyone else willing to do the job, agreed.

My dad saw the ugly side of PCPC... but, really, there is an ugly side to all churches of the Presbyterian denomination. There is an ugly side to all churches of the Baptist denomination. There is an ugly side to churches of ALL denominations! Heck, churches are made of people--and people are dirty rotten sinners. Any church you go to MUST have problems as a result! Because we're all sinful! I do not think that church as we know now it is the church that will be the Bride of Christ. God is even building his Kingdom...shepherding His flock. None of us are fully sanctified yet. No church is perfect.
(Although, of course, some are better than others... and so I think that it sometimes just depends on what church you go to, or what church was in your area, and who was pastoring it when you arrived. Hmmm, perhaps it depends on God's perfect timing and will...? :D

I am so heartily sick of people judging other denominations. Yes, there should be a scrutinizing of doctrine to test it, but judging!? There is so much division in the church, when Paul and the other apostles constantly urge us to unity and closeness and love! "If I speak in the tongue of men and angels, but have not love, I am nothing..." Why, I was at an RP family's house just a few weeks ago, and I heard the children talking about Southern Baptists--cracking RP jokes and laughing at their stupidity. "They're so stupid! How can they think like that?" "Yeah, they're stupid!" Mmm, and I am guilty myself of judging other people who do not think like me. Catholics are a biggie, and they are even harder for the "normal" Christian (what is that, anyway?) to understand and accept. (Although I guess they're yet another can of worms... I personally believe that many Catholics are Christians who have been confused by man's wisdom and are trusting a foundation other than God and His Word).

So to wrap up this way over-long comment... I realize that there is diversity in the body, that God is working as He wills even through the various denominations, and that since none of us are even capable of living in perfect harmony with our families (those closest to us and most like us), we can hardly expect to be able to "just get along" with people from crazily different backgrounds without there being some kind of division and/or strife. But. But but BUT it is true that we are called to first Love the Lord with everything we've got, and then to love our neighbors! Sometimes the loving thing to do IS to rebuke a brother.sister in the Lord and tell them that yeah, dude, you're in a cult. But that is not what I'm seeing these days... denominations are wielding their doctrines like weapons with which to hammer down other people! Bleckety bleck! Oh me oh my, why can't humans just stop being human...? Come Lord Jesus, come! :).

Okay, all done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home