Monday, April 17, 2006

Fists of The Shadow

Okay, so it's been brought to my attention by more than a couple of people that eating out of the trash is gross. Perhaps I should explain further. It was a small wastebasket in a faculty meeting room that normally is locked. The wastebasket is emptied every day and seldom contains more than a few papers. This day however, the people who had used the room had eaten lunch (by ordering Mazzio's Pizza) and had just crammed the boxes into the wastebasket. That's pretty much all that was in there. I think it's much cleaner than some of the bathrooms on campus and the main appeal I guess was not so much hunger, but just was the chance to claim that one had eaten out of a trashcan. Once the idea entered my mind it was nigh impossible to turn it down. The task HAD to be done and is probably a one time occurance similar to climbing Mount Morrison. Now I can tell future generations all about my accomplishments.

Phew, so now that it's all explained..... grossing out of or making puke of friends and well-wishers..... (ask STupendous. He knows.)

Here's some more delinquent stories.

I had taken my Physics exam Thursday evening at 5:30, at 6:00 all the Electrical students were going to a banquet, but I couldn't go sadly. So at 6:30 when my test ended, I wandered back to the lab determined to finish my project that evening. Of course it's locked.
The building is dead silent, I don't know if there was anyone else in it except for myself or maybe a teacher working late in his office, so I whipped out my trusty pocket knife and fished back the lock in a matter of seconds. It's supposed to be stiff enough to withstand that, but we have more than one tool on our knife!

But once inside the lab I had to avoid the cameras, which are hooked up to the Internet so that anyone can check and see if there is a person in the lab (to see if it's open without actually going there). They are on a consistent cycle so that wasn't difficult. But the two doors going into the part of the lab I wanted to get to were locked and I couldn't force the locks back. I should have studied that article harder.....

http://home.howstuffworks.com/lock-picking.htm

There was a window open in the lab but it wouldn't have been too easy to scale the outside of the building, being three floors up and with no ledges to step or grab onto. But who needs Spiderman anyway?

The ceiling was just tiled with the cardboard-type stuff. So a chair, some meticulous timing, and a quick pull upward and I was into the ceiling and smoothly dropped over the wall on the other side, replacing the tile behind me.

And that was that. About 3 hours later some of the TAs came back (from a party after the banquet) and one of them was a little surprised to see me in there. He asked:
"Do you have a key?"
"No."
"Did someone let you in?"
"No."
"Was the door unlocked?"
"No."
"Then how did you get in?!"

The Shadow knows.....




I did tell one of the TAs how I did it. He said he was pretty impressed and they don't really mind, the lab is supposed to be open most of the time anyways, they had said 24 hours a day but it hasn't been that.

One of the girls who came in with the crowd wanted to try out my game that I was building. She kept crashing (it's something of a racecar game) and said something about having just a little too much to drink at the party afterwards. You shouldn't drink and drive!

5 Comments:

At 2:50 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new side of the Shadow appears. Pretty cool!

I must say that some people wouldn't call that very honest, but I think I'm on your side of the deal, what with that funny project to finish.

Haffu good tay

 
At 3:27 PM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A new side?

Well yes, normally I wouldn't be breaking into something, especially an electronics lab! But when the TAs were out partying (though I guess I can't expect someone to be around all the time) and I really needed to work on the project (though it's not due for another two weeks and I just finished it) but no, I certainly wouldn't try that unless I had some business in there. The cameras I played up to make it sound more interesting. In reality they really aren't like monitoring systems, they just are on so you can visit the website and see if anyone is around. If I had a key I might have done the same thing just for fun though :)

I had also thought of a method to drop a loop of wire over the top of the door, hook the handle on the other side and then drop the end down so I could grab it and pull downward. This was too hard though and probably would have slipped off.

Besides that, I notified one of the TAs so they can perhaps better burglar proof the place.

 
At 4:55 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good grief, I hope you aren't arrested! :)

 
At 5:38 AM PDT, Blogger Shadow said...

Oh no, no arrestings (yet), and again, it was rather the challenge of the thing that attracted me. And of course I would not have done it unless I was willing to explain the entire situation. At least one of the normal TAs (not one of the ones at the party) is a fellow brother and I'm on good terms with all of them. If I had thought they would mind, I wouldn't have done it. I have to admit that it was fun though! *mischievous grin*

 
At 7:33 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way around it --- eating out of the trash is --- gross.

I did however appreciate the pictures you sent very much.

Thanks

MGF

 

Post a Comment

<< Home