Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Shadow's Curse

For lack of better titles I'll continue in this style.

Whoah! Look! Another update! Two in a month? Are you sure you're not straining yourself there Shadow?

Imagine my surprise when I got to the end of this week and realized I'd finished my Engineering homework, my Digital project, there was no Math homework, no exams to study for, and basically, ahead of schedule on the Engineering project. So I relaxed today, talked with a few people over the Internet, wrote a (really) long letter to a young lady at the college about some biblical issues, and read a bit. "Az dood" (in the words of young Miss Y).

This past week has been a very tiring one though, on Wednesday I was up until 1:00 in the morning working on an application for a job and some homework. Then I went to bed and got back up at 6:00 to get ready for the prayer meeting in the morning and wound up staying on campus after that until 11:45 (and by the time I got home and went to bed it was about 12:30).

I have sent in a job application for Kicker here in Stillwater which I hope is accepted. It's exactly what I want to do. The job description says that the applicant must be able to focus on a task for an extended period of time, be able to do the work in a timely manner, be willing to learn how to solder etc. Basically it's a position for warranty repair work on the systems that they make. If I was going to ask for a job at a company such as that, this is exactly what I would have asked for and they "happened" to have at least one position open in that area. So if the Lord wills, I may be working there this summer. It would be great, doing what I want to do, in the field in which my studies are, making a bit of money for my tuition or savings AND being able to stay here at the church. What more could one ask for? Well, to be accepted for the position I suppose. I would appreciate prayers in that area.

On the Digital project I was able to stay up at the lab late a few nights (usually for about 6 hours at a time) and finally got a decent working prototype. I may go back and polish it up a little in the next few weeks but essentially I'm done. That was the bulk of the project and I never saw my lab partners staying past the designated lab time, if they even came. The two ladies are supposed to be working on the documentation but neither of them understand the project at all. A classmate told me that two of my partners had come in and were asking for help understanding one of the diagrams I had sent them (for documentation purposes). They should be able to understand that as it's one of the basic principles of the course. He was amazed that they didn't know about it.

And my other lab partner, who was supposed to be working on the case to hold all of this, hasn't started yet, though I have given him over 5 weeks advance notice. Since he didn't come to lab but a couple times (I guess he figured I didn't need help on the project) he could have been working on that part of it. I'm going to ask the instructor if I can be graded on my part that I did (by far the lion's share) and if my grade cannot be affected by the other parts of the project that my teammates are doing.

I know I must sound like I'm complaining a lot but really, there could be a little better work ethic.

Now in the Engineering project, two of them this past Friday were just kind of goofing off the entire time (one of them said he was just waiting until 4:20 when they could leave) and I tried to involve them in the decision making as much as I could. Thankfully though, my other partner (an Asian-American student) was wanting to get as much done as we could during the time allotted. He seemed a bit upset about the lack of seriousness from the other two as well, so that was encouraging to me. All the other two were talking about was getting drunk.

So it was a very busy and tiring week (a program due, a Physics exam, Math Exam, working on projects) but it was worth it in retrospect. I think I'm ready for a new week now. I was thankful to be able to go to Boy's Brigade as well, it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed seeing Pastor work with the boys. He is such an example to me in every area I can think of.

This afternoon I finished up "What is Reformed Theology" by Sproul, caught up on the last two chapters of Luke in the "Let's Study Luke" book for the Wednesday Bible study and read ahead for the next week's study, and I also read a little in "Revival and Revivalism" by Murray, in addition to my personal Bible reading and the article for the weekend in TableTalk. I also sent some pictures to my Mature Gaming Friend (MGF) that I had sitting in my camera for the past month and a half most likely and had never gotten around to. And.... some laundry. Now I need to go shopping and I think I may grab a bite to eat somewhere.

I have to take this opportunity to tell one quick little story about last week. It was Friday and I was up in the Math building on the fourth floor after having spoken with my teacher. It was getting to be about 8:00 at night and I hadn't stopped for anything to eat since breakfast (which was a piece of toast or something) and was starving but I was determined to get my homework done before I went home. In the trash can something caught my eye...... Hello! A half-eaten piece of pizza left over from the faculty that afternoon (the boxes were empty except for that one half piece) Once the thought entered my mind I just grinned to myself and couldn't resist. It makes for a good story anyway. So I tore off the little edge that had been eaten and chomped down on the rest. Chicken, tomatoes, and garlic. That was just about the best tasting thing I'd ever had!

Yes, even better than burritos.

2 Comments:

At 4:56 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, yuck, that's gross about the pizza. O_o

You've got to find something better to eat! My dad always takes PB&J on campus, so maybe you should just bring along a backup sandwich whenever you go to class. :)

I'm sorry about the lab partners. That sounds pretty miserable. I hope this week is easier for you.

 
At 9:36 AM PDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shadow,

Hope you get the job. It is quite amazing when you get to do what you like AND actually get paid for it. Hope you find some better vittles this week.

-Arwen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home