Monday, December 26, 2005

It's Monday

It does feel rather nice to be caught up, my habit of trying to write something about every day is perhaps a bit too much to chew sometimes, especially (as my brother would say) if I spend fifteen paragraphs saying what any sane person would do in two.

Right now everybody except my brother and I are watching season four of MacGyver (which the family got for Christmas). It's my opinion that my siblings like to watch too many all at one time where I like to drag it out, even one a night seems extravagant at times. I honestly don't watch many movies, I'm not sure what I do normally actually, read or something I suppose. Lately I've been taking a track or two at a time in Mario Kart and trying to get a good time, once I'm back in Stillwater I'll submit them all online and see where I place in the overall rankings. I just don't spend enough time to really be what most would call an "expert." The people I refer to as experts are also those who spend way too much time playing games, such as a person I knew a while back who took a year off from school so he could play this one game for fast times. It's not like it will benefit him any in the long run, he just wanted to do it. On the other hand, I don't like to play at all unless I have the time to spare and even lately I've been feeling more like reading one of my theological books or doing something that will have more of a lasting value. I wasn't always that way though, I never thought I'd be interested in reading anything besides fiction.

It's kind of interesting that I met Jim (my Reformed friend) through competiing on a racing game (and he was much better than I) and at the time he was studying at Reformed Theological Seminary in NC and introduced me to at least the name "Reformed Faith," I was definitely familiar with the concept! If I hadn't been playing that game (in my spare time in the evenings) and gotten involved due to the recommendation from my friend in California, I would never have met him and probably never gone to the church in Stillwater. Kind of interesting how little things lead to others.

Speaking of which, Jim has apparently been accepted to pastor a church so he is very excited about that and I am too. I've never met him or seen even a picture of him, but I do feel a great interest in what happens to him and his family (wife and daughter) because he is a brother to me, I've been able to ask questions of him a few times and he's been very helpful.

Today we took down Christmas decorations and the tree (my mom isn't one of those who leaves the tree up until February) and looked at money and accounts for the coming semester. It seems like I'm in fairly good shape, I did spend more than I planned to this semester on various things like a printer etc. but overall it went really well and I spent much less than I had allotted to my budget. I think next semester should be even better. I'll just go without any heat or food for a couple of weeks to help keep down the cost. I'm joking, but really this next semester I think my extra expenses should be pretty reasonable.

In the afternoon I worked with my father in the shop for a little while, making some sills for the windows in the house he is working on. I think they will look very nice once installed. So that's about it for today, not extremely interesting.

I should say that Charlie Horse is doing fine, but I have found that leaving him alone all day might not be the best thing, when he has too much time on his uh.... hooves, he makes some REALLY bad jokes up, I mean, some real groaners. Perhaps next time I should leave book with him or something like that. I just hope he isn't too active tonight when we go to bed. Have you ever had a horse whispering in your ear all night, one who just will NOT go to sleep? I'm sure it would get rather annoying after a while so I'm trying not to let Charlie start that habit. I told him "hi" for you D.W. and he wanted to know who you were so I explained and he said to tell you "hi" as well.

Goodnight to all!

9 Comments:

At 6:43 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok. you met jim pel? wow. i didnt know that. i also didnt know he was married. of course you might be thinking of someone else. if youre looking for a good book for charlie to read, you might try, "The life of a foal" or something like that.

 
At 10:40 AM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, not Jim Pel, I'm not sure who you were referring to, it's another Jim.

Actually, Charlie has been trying to make me let him read "A Horse and his Boy" because he thinks that just the title sounds exceptionally interesting.

 
At 1:28 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh. ok.

you should read it to him! Im sure he would like it..

 
At 4:29 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, i used to look at my dad's tomes of theology and think "who would want to read that?" but now i actually enjoy reading that kind of stuff more than fiction. it's more real. ("of course," says the bystander. nonfiction is always more real than fiction.)
bystanders.... *groan*

 
At 2:32 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Providence... one of the best things out there! It's amazing how God sends people friends in some of the most strange or mundane methods.

 
At 2:52 PM PST, Blogger Unknown said...

Shadow: It's good to have a story--thanks for sharing it. Hearing a way in which God has worked glorifies Him so much! Papa has a good story of a similar nature--ask him to tell you about it sometime. He spent several hours of a road trip telling me about it (and I never forgot).

Give my best to Charlie Horse. It's ok to dance to country music (if you're a horse), and deliver groaner jokes now and then... (again, if you're a horse :o).

I read through all your posts more or less. Haven't been on here much, but it's good to know you've had a (truly) merry Christmas.

~Annie

 
At 4:34 PM PST, Blogger Shadow said...

I know what you mean there GW, my dad tried to get me to read some of his books a while back but I could never sit through more than a chapter or two (that was when I was oh... 12 or so). Now that's pretty much all I read because it's the most important to me! Though I do take time here and there for a little fiction still.....

A.L.! I'm trying to raise Charlie properly here! No it is NOT all right for him to dance to country music! I hope he doesn't read through these comments, I'll have to keep an eye on him. :)

 
At 5:09 PM PST, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you shadow. country music is awful. They're always singing about how their truck broke down and always have a geetar (like you said earlier) and groaner jokes are awful.

 
At 6:05 PM PST, Blogger Shadow said...

I agree with you there D.W.!

A.L. I meant also to say earlier that it's amazing you lasted through reading all of my posts (more or less). That should be deserving of a gold star or perhaps even a trophy or something I think. I believe I still have some readers after all this time (besides my mom) because it all seems rather day-to-day and boring to me ;)

I mean, I don't even read my posts myself....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home